Friday, June 13, 2008

Public Radio + Emily = LOVE?

So my new job is definitely not helping me in the area of becoming LESS of a news dork. When I started last week, my boss showed me how to use my new HD radio at my desk before I even turned on my computer! Our station just launched 2 new HD channels, one is 'rock' and the other is classical. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. My job. I'm still trying to make sense of everything and while there are definitely frustrations involved, I'm going to try to focus on the positive. Besides my HD radio, here's the top five things I like about my new gig so far.

1. Everyone is SUPER NICE. And very hippie. But that's cool. I'll take hippie anyday over some of the obvious alternatives around here.
2. Lots of good schwag. No, not that kind...but free tickets to events, books, CD's, discounts to attractions. It's awesome. Oh, and we do on-air promo trade with a lot of restaurants in town...so we get to eat for free a lot. Our station events are fun, too. Last week I got a local brewery tour and some really good, fancy mexican food. This week I got to taste flights of tea and chocolate pairings. Yummy!
3. The view. Even though it's from a cubicle it's pretty sweet. I can almost see our house out there somewhere from my perch on the foothills. Oh, and the mountains. Can't forget those!
4. My schedule. 8-4. Nice.
5. We have an espresso machine. I don't know how to work it yet, but it's cool.

In honor of my NPR-related job, you have got to listen to this. It's so funny that I about peed my pants the other afternoon. It's a tad R-rated...to entice you even more. David Sedaris is coming to Salt Lake in October for a station event. Can't wait!
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91310499

-Emily :)

3 comments:

kjl said...

I'm so jealous that you work 8-4. Do you not take lunch? I'm also very jealous of all the free food. Free food is one of my biggest weaknesses!

Tracee said...

If you get to meet Davis Sedaris I will be so JEALOUS!

Tish said...

i'm so proud of you...seriously that's the job i saw you having when i first met your npr listening, animal flip flop little arse.