Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Celebrity Blogger...No, not me. :)

Yesterday was a very exciting, roller coaster of a day. First thing in the morning, I got to meet one of the funniest writers I've ever come across--all-star blogger (and Salt Lake City native) Heather Armstrong of Dooce.com. She was being interviewed on RadioWest, my station's morning talk show. I know only a few of you probably frequent her blog and would be as excited as I was to meet her (a shout out to Erin for kindly sharing in my euphoria yesterday!), but it was definitely really, really cool to say the least. Her visit to KUER made it onto her blog, too, so you should check it out. And no, before you ask, we don't eat endangered animals at work.

So, my co-worker and I greeted her and then took her back to the studio and then chatted for about 15 minutes. We got a bonus story about her daughter and then talked about how it was weird for her that everyone knew what was going on with her and felt like they knew her all of the time (including my co-worker and I!). I also got her to sign my copy of her first book "Things I Learned about my Dad (in therapy)."

Anyway, it was a pleasure to meet her and her husband, Jon, and they were as cool and hip in person as you could imagine. I'm glad I finally got to meet the only person I really 'knew' in Salt Lake City before we moved here. I think she's the most 'famous' person I've ever met, although still a tad obscure. I did meet Ben Folds once, but we didn't really talk, so I don't think that counts.

In retrospect, I should have done something totally outrageous or said something really stupid so that the story could have made it on her blog. Dammit! Maybe next time....I'll think of something good. Like ask her to sign my boobs or something.

One more update: We did find a new babysitter for Helena. She starts next week and I do think this will be a better situation in the long run. I'm not a super picky mom, but certain things do annoy me and my current sitter seemed to hit them right on the head almost every day. Thanks to everyone who expressed concern and graciously listened to me whine/freak out.

Emily :)

3 comments:

kjl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kjl said...

As my friend Jake would say, that is "rocksome." How crazy is it that you just started there and your biggest blog idol comes to visit soon after!!?? SWEEEEEEEEEEET.

I haven't read her blog much but she is so freaking hilarious. I can only dream of being so funny--of course without all the cuss words. :)

I deleted the comment the first time because I made a typo. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out on your blog, Emily! :) Now *I* feel like the celebrity. :)
Erin