Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Almost drowned in Lake Woebegon

So last night I had to work an event my station was sponsoring - Garisson Keillor's Rhubarb Tour - a live rendition of his popular NPR show A Prairie Home Companion.

After 3 long hours in the sun and dust at the will-call ticket booth, I got to go into the amphitheatre to get the party started. I had a pretty good time thanks to some co-workers and I bonding over some very strong margaritas.

And while Mr. Keillor isn't exactly my speed, I did enjoy his co-headliner Suzy Boggus and some almost-forgotten country songs as well as Keillor singing 'Home on the Range'. And thanks to the aforementioned very strong margaritas, and the fact that I was supposed to be working, I honestly didn't pay too much attention to the show. Regardless of my personal preference, I do appreciate his talent after seeing him live. The guy played/sang/performed for three hours and does all of his monologues without notes. And I did get some good pictures....
OK, here's Garrison Keillor at our VIP event. I know, my camera was obviously acting up, but I thought it captured his demeanor and essence well: creepy.

For those of you who aren't familiar, another picture of him from his website. It's like Larry King mated with Austin Powers or something.













OK, sorry about that. I just couldn't help myself. And finally, me and my co-worker friend Ja'Naye taking a break from cutting rhubarb pies.









Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to get a picture of just him & I. I felt bad taking up his time when so many other people were really truly THRILLED to meet him. And he also kind of scares me.
-Emily :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But, his voice is so damn soothing! Like Bob Costas.

Erin

Tracee said...

You know, I think to enjoy the "Companion" you have to throw every ounce of cool you ever had out the window and just be shamelessly corny. It's happened to me on occaision. Kind of like you and John Phillip Sousa marches. Don't deny it, I've seen you at the community band concerts!

kjl said...

Hey, I finally get to see your new hair! I never went back to check your previous post until now, so I'm just now getting chance to tell Erin that I was not actually interested in checking out your chest. :)

Like the hair, by the way. Very cute! Why does your short hair make you look younger while mine adds about 10 years? That's so not fair!

T. Tabish said...

My favorite paragraph: "OK, here's Garrison Keillor at our VIP event. I know, my camera was obviously acting up, but I thought it captured his demeanor and essence well: creepy."

I'm asking our web "manager" to post this! :D

Tish said...

lol he does look like larry king mixed with some austin powers... a little larry powers if you will...