Monday, July 21, 2008

Spontaneous is Our Middle Name

Last Saturday morning we decided to head downtown to the Salt Lake City Farmer's Market to maybe pick up some local fruit for a pie. The market encompassed an entire city block and was more art/food fair than the smaller type of farmer's market we're used to. I picked up some apricots, raspberries and a houseplant and we had some delicious Thai food for 'brunch'.

Afterwards, Ash joked that we should go to Wyoming to buy some good fireworks. This Thursday is Pioneer Day in Utah (more on that later), an official state holiday we've heard is bigger than the 4th around here. Not wanting to go back home yet, I said SURE! let's go to Wyoming. Why not? I've never been. So, with the assistance of Ash's iphone we figured out Evanston, Wyoming was about 75 miles away. We stopped off at a filling station, got some gas, soda, water and Cheerios for Helena and off we went.

Ash blinged out on the 2-for-1 sale at the fireworks store. Here's a pic of him showing his wares to Helena once we got home. I don't want to talk about how much money 'blinged out' really is, but I do sense a spa day in my future as payback.
We then decided to take the scenic route home. We drove Route 150 through the Uinta Mountains back around to Park City. The Uintas are to the east of the Wasatch Mountain range, which butts up right against Salt Lake City. The mountain range is unusual as it is the highest range in the contiguous United States that runs east to west instead of north to south.
The drive was phenomenal. Ashford swears he saw a bear. Although I don't believe him since he wasn't wearing his glasses. We both agreed it was some of the most spectacular mountain scenery we'd ever visited, way more interesting and dramatic than Colorado even. We got out and hiked around Mirror Lake, one of many glacial lakes at about 10,000 feet. Due to the spontaneous nature of the trip, I didn't have my camera with me, but I'll try to post some photo's on flickr from Ash's phone once he sends them to me (hint hint...).

I think if we had been more prepared we might have just set up camp out there and stayed all weekend. We're definitely planning on going back to explore some more when it's a little less busy. If anyone has tips or ideas about camping with a 9 month old, let me know. I have a feeling it could be a disaster. :) The area is so remote there aren't really very many affordable lodges or hotels.

Even though we were in the car for most of the trip, it was a great break from work for both of us, and a good break for me from the monotony of being home so much since Ash has been working double time lately. Helena was very good until about the last 30 minutes when she just wanted out of her car seat and the only thing that would stop her whining/screaming was me feeding her excessive amounts of gas station cheerios and both of us singing silly songs.

Oh, and then we got fried chicken and barbecue takeout for dinner and we made an apricot cobbler. Nothing tops off a good day better than fried chicken and cobbler in my opinion.

-Emily :)

1 comment:

kjl said...

That mountain range sounds beautiful! I honestly can't even imagine anything more beautiful than the Rockies! :)