Sunday, September 7, 2008

State Fair Day

In honor of my friends and family attending the Brett Michaels/Poison concert at the Kansas State Fair tonight, we decided to check out the Utah State Fair today.

Helena had a blast being able to get super close to a lot of the animals...a lot closer than we did at the zoo last weekend. And they had a cool farm exhibit for kids that she was a little young for, but Ash & I got some free cheez-its out of the experience, so I think it was worth it.

While eating barbecue sandwiches and listening to some gospel rap across the way (which Helena was dancing to off and on), I got a major case of the giggles. Pretty much the only lyric of his song was "I don't want to be a renegade...I wanna be a soldier!" He sang his little heart out to his (sadly) very empty tent...and, because I'm a jerk, I just couldn't contain myself. So freaking funny. What a horrible gig for a rapper, although in my opinion he's already dug his own grave with his specific choice of genre.

We got some really great homemade ice cream, too. I had peach, which reminded me of my grandma making it at the lake; Ash had chocolate and claims he's never eaten homemade ice cream before. Quite the travesty in my opinion. Oh, and Helena tasted ice cream for the first time. That, along with the french fries for lunch, made for a pretty sweet day.

The Utah State Fair was as trashtastic as the Kansas State Fair. Although I was a bit disappointed we didn't see a family of more than six kids. But, it was Sunday and it would cost a family of 15 over $100 to attend the fair. We did see two kids on a leash, though; a WT staple at the Kansas State fair.

Here are some more pictures of our day at the fair...enjoy!

5 comments:

Tish said...

ok i'm crackin over the r&b gospel dude...sigh. i have a friend trying that ish out. lol...that would be funny if it was his behind.

homemade icecream is the best...will you bring me some when you come to visit?!

good mommy for FINALLY introducing that loveliness to your daughter...little cute thang looked like she had a blast at the fair.

Anonymous said...

Not to make you jealous, but Poison totally KILLED it at the fair. I wish I was joking, but it was a great show. The place was packed and my ears are still ringing. Hope your family had fun, too!

Erin

kjl said...

My dear hubby is actually working the Westar booth at the KS state fair today, and I'm sure he'll be way disappointed that he missed Poison. Okay, not really. He was never a Poison fan even when they were really popular. That was me.

Anonymous said...

Very fun. I'm going to make it to the KS fair next weekend, but no concerts for me. In a few weeks I'm going to the Texas State Fair. Should be interesting.

Anonymous said...

So I made it home to my first state fair in over 10 years. Not much has changed - but the pronto pups & fried green tomatoes were better than I remember. Trying to convince Steve to go to Richmond for the VA state fair - he's never been to one. Quite a travesty in my opinion.

Hung out w/ your family in the beer garden before the concert. I heard several times how much your mom loves Brett Michaels. I think I have her convinced to come out here next year for Buffett....Margaritas beats Beer anyday.