Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dietary Confusion

I took advantage of a pretty cool perk of my new health insurance today and visited a nutritionist at the University of Utah. I basically found out I'm not eating as bad as I think I am, which I guess is good. Commuting 45 minutes to an hour each way to work has not been good for my eating habits, though. And I know there are a lot of people out there who have horrible eating habits and say, for example, have Doritos and Mountain Dew for breakfast. I'm not one of those, at least. ;)

The other main reason why I've been feeling that I'm not eating well is that, like most people I'm sure, I don't feel like I eat enough fruits and vegetables. Especially since the pregnancy-induced, all-inclusive vegetable aversion.

So the nutritionist is going over the government's food pyramid with me and I realize you only need 5-ish servings of fruits AND/OR vegetables a day. I always thought it was 5 fruits AND 5 vegetables a day, totaling 10-ish. And I've always wondered, WHO EATS THAT WELL!?! AND THAT MUCH!?! So, now that I have my facts straight, I feel better about my fruit and veggie intake. But I really think they need to evaluate the use of their conjunctions in their promotional materials.

Anyway, I share my new found knowledge with Ashford tonight, and he thought the exact same thing. So, I didn't feel so stupid after all. He's convinced that they must have drastically changed the dietary requirements since we were kids. I'm not sure, and I'm too tired to research it. :)

Anyone else as silly as we are and thought the same thing? (Jen, if you're reading, feel free to chime in!)

-Emily :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did some digging and discovered that the standards WERE changed in 2005. What used to be 2-4 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of vegetables is now 5 a day, which is still double what the WHO advises.

Wikipedia ROCKS!

Ashford

kjl said...

I think I realized that it was 5 servings total, but I did NOT realize that you had an hour commute to work!! ACK!

Anonymous said...

I completely thought is was 3-5 fruits and 3-5 veggies per day as well! That's the pyramid I remembered from childhood (not that it helped).

LA

Tish said...

the FBG girls know about that ish actually. i remember one of them going on a rant a couple of years back about how they had loosy goosied the pyramid because people didn't want to follow it. you should send 'em an email and get the full account...it involves exercise requirements too i warn you.

Heather said...

I totally thought the same thing. You have released a huge weight from my shoulders!!
(Could you do something about the weight on my thieghs?)

Anonymous said...

Ah - living in the heart of Federal Government I do remember them changing the daily requirements some years ago. I think it was on every local news channel.

Sorry about your commute - I just hope that in your 45min to an hour commute you are driving more than the 8 miles I do in that time. I"m ready to get the school buses off the road. Summer traffic is about half the commute time.