Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Yes, there were only 21 people in my class.

So, I survived my TEN YEAR HIGH SCHOOL REUNION this past weekend. I think 11 people of 21 showed up to one of the two 'events'. So 50% isn't bad, I guess. But I was a tad disappointed because it was mostly people I see semi-regularly anyway. Some of the more amusing characters were nowhere to be found. Such a bummer!
We spent Saturday night at Anchor Inn drinking and eating Mexican food and then we headed back to the Paradise Grill (my brother's restaurant) for some more drinks in Burrton. I think my brother was ready to shut down when we all showed up...but we had the place all to ourselves!On Sunday, everyone met out at the lake with their kids in tow. Nine ex-classmates, 16 kids. That's a pretty impressive! I have to say that we all have some damn cute kids. Also interesting to note that everyone who came still lives in the Burrton/Hutchinson area except for me, Aimee (Dallas), and Nicki (Colorado).
It's somehow comforting and strange at the same time how much people stay the same after all of these years. Nicki still poses the same in pictures...Mike still loves to fish...Brandon will still wax philosophical about everything under the sun if you let him...April's still sweet and quiet...Joni's still the mother hen. :) I'd like to think that I'm different than I used to be, but I guess when I think about it I'm really not.
The best 'gossip' I heard was that one of our classmates who had been in the Peace Corps in Africa for awhile, had a camel shipped back to Burrton to keep as a pet. Evidently it was in the Burrton newspaper and everything. Bizarre...I kept waiting for him to ride up to the lake on it, but alas, he never showed. Now THAT would have been a story!
Oh well, things to hope for in 2018!
-Emily :)






3 comments:

Tish said...

i see people i know in this here pic. well i'm glad someone out there enjoyed their reunion. i'm scared to death of the things...won't touch 'em i say!

(did i mention i was a nerd in high school)

EmilyG said...

Tish-- thanks for reminding me of your childhood pics. Gave me a chuckle. You were such a cute little turtle! :)

kjl said...

I'm glad you had fun, Emily. Did Ash get to go with you? I want to see nerdy pictures of Tish, btw.