Friday, May 30, 2008

Utahan...like Crouton

I've decided to compile an ongoing list of things that are interesting/weird/different/etc. about Utah. I hearken back to my high school journalism days of composing top ten lists for the Charger Courier. Good times.
Anyway, today's going to be a list of some things that I've found are definitely in abundance in Utah. We'll call it the 'List O' Plenty'. :)

1. Children. I was told/warned about this, but seriously nothing could have prepared me. I think every family I've met has at least 3 kids. There are probably 5 elementary schools within two miles of my house--big ones, too. When school gets out, the traffic is way worse than rush hour. I've timed my errands around when school starts and gets out and my driving routes to avoid elementary schools. Seriously, it's like there are just swarms and swarms of children crossing the streets and running around. Today, I had a hard time taking a nap because school got out early and there was this low roar of children screaming and running around in my neighborhood. Good news, though...Helena definitely will have a lot of friends to choose from!

2. Trampolines. Three of the five yards you can see from our backyard have them, and they're always in use. Better than video games, I guess...as long as you don't fall off and kill yourself.

3. Tanning Salons. They're everywhere! Not sure why, really. I just bought some self tanning lotion, though.

4. People driving way under the speed limit. In the left lane. It's so bad that I was thinking about looking up Utah traffic laws on the off chance that here the right lane is actually reserved as the fast lane. Ash assures me people are just stupid.

5. Mountains. Here's a pic of the view of the Wasatch Mountains from our bedroom.
Pretty sweet. In Salt Lake City, the mountains are right on top of you on both sides of the valley. Ash and I are taking Helena hiking on Sunday. Hopefully we'll see some pretty flowers, some wildlife and maybe a waterfall or two. It'll be nice to do something completely for fun for a change. It's been awhile.
-Emily :)

2 comments:

kjl said...

Can I just say that I'm so very jealous of your mountains? That view is gorgeous. You'll have to let me know if the skiing is good. :)

Anonymous said...

Did you just complain about not being able to take a nap!?! Oh, Emily!

-Leigh Ann