Saturday, August 20, 2011

Produce Post

So this summer we've gotten ourselves into a pickle.  In March, I signed up for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) -- which basically is a box full of veggies I get from a farm each week.  Then, later in the spring, Helena's school decided to start a community garden.  I was all in there, too.  And, we may have four 6-foot tall tomato plants in our backyard. 
So....the result: I'm up to my eyeballs in produce.  This week I got a double veggie box from East Farms (since we took a week off for vacation), my tomatoes started coming in and we had a ton of stuff for harvest at the school.  The result:  6 yellow squash, 4 large zucchini, 2 UFO squash, a bunch of medium sized onions, 6 green and purple peppers, 5 anaheim peppers, a bowl full of cherry tomatoes, two giant bunches of carrots, 10 beets, a bunch of kale, 10 ears of corn and 2 pounds of green beans.  Whew! 
Photographic proof...almost my entire countertop!
So, lots of cooking going on around here. Today I made caprese salad for lunch with our own basil and tomatoes,  a squash casserole (definitely very yummy), and a roast with cabbage (from last week's box), carrots, and onions.  Tomorrow I'm thinking zucchini brownies or bread....and lots of veggie sides with leftover roast.  This week I'm going to use up all my kale by making this and trying this for breakfast.
Dancing Moose Community Garden plot right after planting.  Tee pee trellis is for my pole beans!
Beets, Anaheims and Kale from Dancing Moose plot. 
We still have yet to harvest any of our own eggplant, beans, watermelon or hot peppers.
Anyway, I'm loving the challenge of figuring out how to use all of this stuff, but it's definitely a part-time job.  :)  In the meantime, if any SLC friends need some extra veggies, just come on by...or I might be stopping by unexpectedly to unload some things once the novelty wears off!
If anyone has some yummy summer bounty recipes to share, link to them in the comments!
-Emily :)

4 comments:

Aunt MariAnn said...

Kale-Apple Smoothie??? Sounds kind of yucky! You'll have to let me know how that turns out :) Sounds like you're going to be busy.

Lindsay said...

I love my CSA - but thank goodness we get to decide week to week if we want a box!

kjl said...

Jealous. :)

EmilyG said...

Ooh...Lindsay, that would be AWESOME. I'll have to look into that option here.