Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Celebrity Sighting

On Sunday the kids woke up insanely early...so early we were all out of the house, dressed & fed, by 7:30 am.  We've been making a habit of doing family outings on Sunday mornings and this past Sunday we went fishing at a little pond and then headed down south a bit to Utah county to check out American Fork Canyon. 

So on the way to the canyon, we had a cracker mishap that led to us needing to stop at a gas station for provisions.  Ash & the kids stayed in the car, and I went in for crackers and coffee.  So, I go in and beeline for the coffee and pass an older looking man with reddish hair who smiled at me.  I smiled back, because that's what I do, and notice that WOW, that guy is dressed nicely.  Like, not fancy, but you could just tell his jeans, casual shirt and boots were really expensive.  I think nothing of it and go about my business, check out, and return to the car.

When I sit back down in the passenger seat, Ash says, "Dude, I think that was Robert Redford!  Did you see him in there?"  I was all..."Ummm...well, yeah, I saw that guy that kind of looked like Robert Redford, but he was really short.  I mean he's probably not that much taller than me.  I don't think it was him."  Ash was pretty insistent it was him, but I still wasn't sure.  Cue immediate iphone research about celebrity heights and recent celebrity photographs.  Which resulted in this tip from my friend Erin.  Which pretty much says the dude is short.

Ash is pretty certain, I'm about 90% that we saw Robert Redford in a gas station.  Ash did have longer to look at him since he saw him come out and get into his black SUV.  And we were at the gas station that is probably the closest to his compound in Sundance, Utah.  I told him next time he thinks he's seeing an internationally known celebrity to take a picture with his phone! Ha!

I'm mad at myself that I didn't immediately recognize him.  And next time I'll make sure to say, "Dude, I loved you in "Up Close and Personal."  I'm sure he'd love to hear that. :)

-Emily :)

2 comments:

Aunt MariAnn said...

Yes, Ash should have snapped a picture. And I'm with you Emily, I loved him in Up Close and Personal too!

annie said...

I once saw a (humor) article in the paper that referred to him as "the leathery midget." Now EVERY time I see his name I automatically think, leathery midget. haha!