Friday, January 14, 2011

Expectations

I know, it's past Christmas, but just a few more Christmas-related posts.  Because nothing's going on in January so far.  Ha!  Christmas was really fun with Helena this year.  She totally bought into Santa Claus and was so cute opening her presents and generally being very excited about LIGHTS!, TREES!, etc.

That reminds me of a quick story.  When asked what Helena wanted from Santa this year, she kept changing her mind.  On the letter she wrote to Santa at school she said she wanted "A car...and that's it."  So, I got her some cars from Cars, the movie, and a cool track for them.  Then two days after I ordered that off the internet and had it shipped to my mom's house (you know, since it was 'from Santa') she started saying she wanted 'that game I saw at Walmart'.  Jeez.  So, I got that, too (it was only $10).  Then the answer changed a couple of more times and that's when I drew the line.  No more presents.  And no way would she remember what all she told me she wanted over the past two months.  I had inquired about the car request a little asking her what type of car she wanted...like a toy car or a real car...you know, since that was her official request in the actual letter to Santa.  She replied..."I want both."  I said, "Well, you can't drive a big car."  She replies, mater-of-factly, "Mommy, I'll let you drive it."  So sweet, I thought.  She hates the Cadillac too. :)  I made sure to tell Ash.

Anyway, Christmas morning we open presents, she's stoked about the cars and the cool track.  Slightly less stoked about the game from Walmart.  Ash, Evan and her play with the car track until the four D batteries it runs on poop out.


So later in the morning I am taking Helena to the bathroom and I ask her if she liked her presents from Santa.  She kind of hesitated and said, "Well...mom...I didn't get my car."  I say, "Helena, you got a Lightning McQueen and a 'Mater and a cool track!!  What do you mean?!?"  She replies, "My real car, Mom!  I wanted a white truck!"  I just started laughing.  She was clearly kind of bummed, but not in a bratty way.  I couldn't believe she actually thought she might get a real car for Christmas.  So....I immediately launched into my speech about how real cars cost a lot of money and how some kids don't even get presents for Christmas...yadda yadda yadda.  She tells me she has a lot of money in her piggy banks.  Yadda yadda yadda.  Ash later repeats the same line with her when she brings it up with him.  I'm pretty sure she understood her request was kind of silly by the end of it.

Lesson from Christmas #4 with Helena...don't buy 'Santa presents' until right before Christmas and try to adjust her expectations for next year.

-Emily :)

1 comment:

kjl said...

Maybe she watched Miracle on 34th Street and saw that little girl get the house she asked Santa for? ;) Too cute!!