Monday, November 8, 2010

Mixing it Up Mealwise

Mainly just to amuse myself, I've decided to do theme weeks for awhile around here for dinnertime.  This week - Grandma Millie recipes.  Which basically means we'll be eating lots of beef.  Next week, my mom's recipes, which means we'll be eating a lot of casseroles. ;)  Ash has proposed a week of dips, which I'm not so sure about, but maybe we'll give it a try.

So tonight's recipe is Vegetable Soup -- perfect for what is turning into a very rainy and snowy day.  A long time ago my grandma wrote out a lot of her recipes for me and my sister -- definitely something I cherish more and more as I get older.

Anyway, looking over the recipe this morning I noticed 2 things:

One -- this recipe is for 5 GALLONS OF SOUP.  Ummm...I think I'll cut that down a bit.
And two -- you'll noticed that the first ingredient of this vegetable soup is 10 lbs. of stew meat.  Ha!  That is farm girl awesome right there.

Also on the menu this week at the Galbreath's is Smothered Steak, Chicken Fried Steak and Shrimp.  I'll try not to make a pie because we're on a diet around here, but I might be too tempted not to.  And really with all of the frying going on the diet is really out the window this week.  And, many of these meals I've probably never had without a piece of cherry pie finishing it off.  So, it sounds like I've convinced myself to make a pie.

- Emily :)

4 comments:

kjl said...

Five gallons is a heckuva lot of soup!! Maybe your Grandma would normally freeze some for later?

Carrie said...

This recipe illustrates exactly why it's so damn difficult to be a vegetarian in the great state of Kansas.

I'm with Kim, though. Make that whole soup and freeze it! That is, if you have a pot big enough. And you can lift it. FIVE GALLONS?!?!

EmilyG said...

So I probably ended up with 2 1/2 gallons of soup...although I used like 2 lbs. of meat and not 5 ish if I would have really halved the recipe. And we have 4 more full meals in the freezer now. And Carrie, good point on the pot...I do not have one that big. :)
Kim - I imagine my grandma would make that much to freeze and/or feed farm helpers. Or it might be an old church recipe. I should ask her. :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the casseroles....... :)
Just don't make the one where I incorectly used sweetened condensed milk. The dog wouldn't even eat it!
Love from the casserole queen! (aka Mom)