Thursday, September 10, 2009

I know, the suspense is killing you...

Sorry for the cryptic post last week, but I had a secret to keep. Ash & I decided about three weeks ago to take advantage of some decent airfare prices to fly to Wichita for Labor Day weekend to see my family.

Since it was fairly last minute, I decided to try to surprise everyone (minus my mom, my dad and my brother for various reasons). We had planned to mainly surprise my sister, who had mentioned she was upset that she wasn't going to see us until Christmas awhile ago. So my mom set up a breakfast date with her at 'the grill' on Saturday morning. My sister, ever the cooperative one, calls last minute to say she had had a little too much fun the night before and wasn't up to going to breakfast. OK, so the original surprise plan wasn't going to work. So after my dad and her husband Justin made her mad berating her to go to breakfast, we decided just to ambush her at her house.

We walked up on the porch and she looked out the window and was totally shocked. Her face was hilarious! She was so excited...so was Ellie. Later she told me, "That was so cool...I don't think I've ever been surprised in my whole life." Yay! Mission accomplished!

We also successfully surprised both sets of my grandparents and my Aunt Jodie and her family who were visiting from New Mexico.

We had a great time hanging out with everyone. Also got to see Aimee and Micah, and Michelle and Andy on Saturday night. Thanks for coming to Burrton to hang out with us, guys...all the great laughs were so therapeutic.

-Emily :)

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm so glad you had the chance to surprise them. I did it for both Mom's 50th and Dad's 60th birthday and almost blew it so many times on the phone. Your mom was one of the few people who knew. We showed up at a hotel in KC to surprise Mom and I don't think she knew what hit her when Dad walked in room with Henry. And then we got Dad at a BHS basketball game. So awesome.

Leah B said...

Thats great! Glad that you were able to surprise them. But I'm kinda depressed that you weren't trying out for the American Idol, the Real World, or So You Think You Can Dance.

EmilyG said...

Oh Leah, if we were only that interesting. ;) You have such a great imagination!

kjl said...

Dang, I was really hoping you were moving back to Lawrence!!! Glad you had fun though...sounds like wonderful surprise!

Zig said...

Yeah, what about Lawrence?! :)