Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day Trippin'

We had an itch to get the hell out of the valley yesterday, so we ventured south a couple of hours to Manti La Sal National Forest. Overall, it was a successful trip (our friends Dan & Ashley went with us, along with their two kids) - however we're still learning that spring arrives in Utah a good month after it does in the Midwest. We ran into some closed campgrounds and almost got stuck in the snow at one point - so obviously it was a little too early in the season to be so spontaneous at 9,000 feet.

The most promising part of the trip was that Helena LOVED her new hiking backpack. And, I didn't keel over carrying her 2 miles.

Another good tip while venturing out into the wilderness: take cash. Weird, National Park ranger stations don't take Visa.

Also, while observing the raging spring rapids near the trail we were getting ready to hike, we witnessed these two teenage boys carrying an air mattress up the hill. I figured they were camping up there somewhere. Then, this guy pulls up and says to me & Dan, "Hey, did you see two kids coming down the river on an air mattress?" I'm all, "Yes...but JESUS!... they're riding down on that!?! What a bunch of dumbasses!!! They're going to drown!" Guy: "Yeah, they're my kids." Me: "Oh...ummm...well I hope they don't die." Guy, laughing: "Yeah!" Why the hell would you let your teenagers do that? Seriously? And then come by and brag about your questionable parenting judgement in front of strangers?

This and the cougar skins people had proudly displayed on the top of their garages in this neck of the woods probably explains why this is rural Utah at its best. Kind of feels like home. Ha!

Some more pics of the scenery:

I heart windmills.














Fish Creek near Scofield, Utah.















Helena enjoying the car ride.




















View back toward Scofield from our hike.



















The ridge near the point on the trail where we had to turn back because the creek had TAKEN OUT THE FOOT BRIDGE.
















I also heart birch trees. :)


























































- Emily :)

3 comments:

Tracee said...

That backpack looks just like ours! I've never been brave enough to try it myself. I always make Jim do it. You've inspired me : )

Lindsay said...

The backpack is awesome. I don't think I could take hauling around 35 pounds of crazy on my back though! Henry's too wild to confine. We are venturing to Myrtle Beach with him & Sydney next week though - that should make for an entertaining week.

Tish said...

lol @ conversation with questionable parent!!!!