Monday, February 27, 2012

Successful Recipes

Wanted to share a couple of new recipes we have tried out this past week - both from the Whole Foods website.  I love this website for recipes because you can search by your dietary needs.  So I usually look for gluten free recipes and then scan for egg less/nut less recipes or substitutions I can make.

First off, Salmon Chowder.  This was a big hit with me, Harper & Ash...Helena, not so much.  She ate the salmon out of it, though.  That's about all you can ask from her most of the time. :)  The only modification I made was I used some leftover salmon I had instead of raw.  It probably flaked up a bit more than if you cooked in the soup from raw, but it was still yummy.  Also, yummy the next day for lunch!

Second was Tamale Casserole.  Seriously, Ash & I probably could have eaten the whole pan.  And Helena tried it after much coaxing and we asked her what she thought and she said, "I don't want to tell you."  Which means she liked it.  Funny.  I used a gluten free cornbread mix made with Ener-G egg substitute and I used normal milk instead of buttermilk.  Oh, and no green chilies since I didn't want it to be too spicy for the kiddos.  Fabulous!  This one for sure is on the permanent list of "food we can all agree on." (Yes, I really have a list with this title.)

-Emily :)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes! I am always looking for new things to try and the tamale casserole definitely sounds like something the kids would eat. I have a list too... =)

Unknown said...

I am going to make the salmon chowder tomorrow! Looks fantastic! Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to taste some of your good cooking when I am out to visit! HA! :) Mom