Sunday, October 30, 2011

Soup Brain

I've been tired lately.  Ash out of town for three days last week, Helena up puking in the middle of the night two times, plus my normal middle of the night insomnia, plus Harper's still insistence on not always sleeping through the night equals a grumpy, tired Emily.

Saturday morning Ash is home finally and I was preparing soup and cornbread for a friend's Halloween party that evening.

I'm making wonderful, beautiful butternut squash soup (my new fall food obsession) and finishing it up by pureeing it in batches in my food processor.  From scratch, gluten-free cornbread is in the oven. 

In the middle of my cooking bliss there are two kids whining at me for this and that...fast forward the movie, mom!, where's my milk?, where's my car?, on and on and on. 

Sidenote:  I now totally understand why my mom would sometimes get frustrated with my siblings and I when we were little for always asking her where things were.  Why is it the mom's job to know where every single little trinket, toy, shoe, blanket, etc. is at every single moment in time?  To quote my mother (and I often do these days...) "I don't know!  It's not mine!  I can't keep track of everything that everyone owns!" If Ash asks me where his shoes are one more time....;)

So yeah, my soup.  I'm pureeing the final batch and all of the sudden I notice my food processor making a weird noise, like it's stuck, and then I see a paper towel in a weird spot.  Hanging out of the top of the bowl.  OMG.  I did not just do that.  Upon closer inspection, yep, I did.  Pureed a paper towel into my soup.

Cut to me thinking for a couple of minutes if I could somehow salvage said soup to serve to people who aren't my immediate family.  Will they notice it's a little 'chunky'?  Maybe I could strain it out? 

Down the drain...
These are thoughts from a not-thinking-clearly brain.  I still had two-thirds of the soup that wasn't contaminated.  People will just have to eat less, I finally decided. :)

And then I realized, dammit, I burnt my cornbread.

And I have since had seven hours of uninterrupted sleep.  Still running a deficit, but much better.

-Emily :)

4 comments:

Leah B said...

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us. I "baked" a casserole for 45 minutes the other day, finally realizing that a) I had the wrong oven on and b) I never added the meat to the darn thing... lol and for a great butternut squash lasagna (get egg free noodles for your wee one) try this: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/10/roasted-butternut-and-sweet-potato-whole-wheat-lasagna/
Made this last night and its SO good

Anonymous said...

Please make me that soup when I visit (minus the paper towel)! It is funny when you "quote" me! Now you understand why I don't recall what I said! Lovw, Mom.

annie said...

Once in college I literally mashed a wooden spoon into mashed potatoes using a stand mixer. All kinds of splintery chunks! Yum.

Leigh Ann said...

Oh, my, goodness! You are so funny! I loved this story. When I was pregnant, I was making mac and cheese (ya know, the kind from the box) and started to put the cheese packet into the boiling water insted of the noodles. Oops!