Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cash and Carry

So I've told this story a lot in the past month to family and friends, but want to make sure I document it here.  You know, so I can remember to put it in the baby books. Because without this blog, I remember nothing. Ha!

So, we all know how much I LOVE driving my 2002 Caddillac Deville.  Thinking she might help in persuading her father that I need a new car, I have repeatedly expressed my disdain with my ride to her.  She's way better at nagging than I am (surprising, no?).

So one night at bedtime Helena asks me how much money a new car costs.  Thinking I'll teach her a little finance lesson I say, "Well, cars cost A LOT of money...mommy and daddy have to save their money for a long time to get one."  She then asks, "Like, how much?"  "Thousands!", I say.  "Wow, that's a lot!!", she replies.  She falls asleep, no more questions, gazing at the 18 piggy banks in her room.

So fast-forward four days and we're in the car on the way home from school.  The conversation goes like this:

H: "Mom, when are we going to get a new car?"
Me: "Well, I told you , we have to save up our money, so I'm not sure."
H: "But MOM!  When are we going to get it?"
Me: "I don't know, Helena.  Probably in the next year or so."
H:  "What are we going to do with Harper when we go get your new car?"
Me: "Ummm....well....I don't know.  I haven't planned out that far."
H: "But what are we going to do with him?!?"
Me: "Well, Helena, we'll probably just take him with us.  Why are you worried about this?"
H: "But MOM!  Harper can't go with us!"
Me: "Why Helena?  I really don't understand."
H:  Well, he can't go with us because he 's not going to be able to help us carry all of that money!"

Because, you know, of course we have to take all of our ACTUAL MONEY to buy a car.  That makes total sense!!  Modern banking and loans are total B.S.-- she's so forward thinking.  Ha!

-Emily :)

2 comments:

Tish said...

I love the way kids think about money. I used to be able to swindle my kid sisters out of quarters by giving them oodles of pennies. mwahahahaaaa

kjl said...

Awesome. :)