Friday, February 25, 2011

Baller...Yep, That's Me

Right after Christmas my neighbor that I hang with a lot asked me if I'd like to join her rec basketball team.  I was a little unsure at first, considering I had not played since I was a freshman in college, but then decided, what the heck, I need to mix up my fitness routine and this might be a fun way to do it.

Fast forward six weeks or so and it's been really fun.  I'm by far not the best one on the team (several of the ladies played in college, one played for Iowa State back in the day!), but I can hold my own and usually don't embarrass myself.  Cardiovascularly, I only felt like I was going to die after the first game - partly because Ash had lost 'our' asthma inhaler and I was pretty sure that if we didn't find it that he was going to have to take me to the emergency room (we found it, thank god).  My shot isn't completely lost and I usually make at least a few baskets every game.  Hell, during the last game I had a steal and a layup!  (Then I collapsed on the floor from all the sprinting).

Anyway, last week was the rec league tournament and I knew going into the evening that if we won we'd have to play again.  Well, we won the first game by like 25 points.  Ash and the kids came to watch.  They were excited.  Helena cried part of the time because I had to sub out sometimes. :)

Then we found out that we would have to play two more games if we kept winning.  Ouch.  Then we won the second game by eight points, beating a team we usually don't beat (according to the players who have played in this league for awhile).  So now we're in the championship against a team that just beat the best team in the league (who beat us by 25 points the last time we played them.)  So, the third game of the night starts and our team is rockin' it.  It's a pretty physical game (think me vs. giant Samoan girls) with some lousy refs but we ended up on top as rec league champions by like 20 points.  Good times.  And I even got a t-shirt to prove it!

-Emily :)

2 comments:

Tish said...

Dude! That's awesome! Where are the pics?!

Love that your daughter has your back like that lol...

kjl said...

You rock! I want pictures too--and I love Helena's undying support as well. Too cute!