Monday, September 20, 2010

A Tale of Two Signs

So this is the best pic I could get....and if you look really really closely you can see one sign says 'Buses Only', and the other one says 'Busses Only'.  This is at the elementary school closest to our house -- the one Helena will attend if we are still living here when she starts real school. 

So at first I thought, "Jeez, why can't they spell 'Busses' correctly on both signs?"  It looks like someone at the school was all, "I'm not exactly sure how to spell the plural of bus, so we'll just spell it so hopefully one of the signs are right."  Or, "Oh, crap, we spelled the first sign wrong!  We'll order another one that's right but not take the other one down because we can't afford two new signs."  Surely there has to be some explanation why signs at a SCHOOL are misspelled. Right? Or is private school looking that much better??  And after I took this picture I noticed two other school signs with blatant misspellings (but I couldn't take pics because I was driving).



But then I thought, "Wait, how do you spell the plural of bus?"  Then I thought, "Maybe one is in Spanish and one is in English?"

I did some investigating and turns out the plural of bus can be spelled buses or busses.  But I still think they should have picked one and gone with it. Just my opinion.  Would make the whole sign situation look a little less silly.  And I'm pretty sure it's not in Spanish.  Maybe one of these days I'll go down and inquire in person.

Thoughts?  Isn't Utah fun?  :)

-Emily :)

3 comments:

Erin and Todd said...

Reminds me of a photo taken by my brother at his kids' school:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mclain/3988314798/

Ash and Maggie said...

Solemente hace Autobus/Autobuses in Espanol.

Only call them Autobus/Autobuses in spanish...

this is why all the papers are printed at sixth grade levle...xxxlevel!

kjl said...

Not that I'm a connoisseur on all things grammatical, but I've never seen buses spelled busses in my life. Just sayin'.