Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Best Birthday Ever!

I turned thirty last week. I know, some of you can't believe I'm already this old. Others have been taunting me for weeks. It actually didn't feel too bad. But as I've mentioned recently, I'm still going to type in 29 on the treadmill at the gym.

I decided a few weeks ago to take Thursday and Friday off of that birthday week. Because working on your birthday doesn't ever make your birthday better. :) My actual birthday morning started with some McGriddles from McDonald's with Helena and then off to my scheduled spa morning. My massage was fantastic and the facial and pedicure weren't bad either. I left feeling awesome and totally relaxed. Then I downed an entire pizza at California Pizza Kitchen by myself (low point...lol). After that I did some solo shopping and then headed home, took a nap and went to pick up Helena from school. All in all, a great day.

So, I call Ash on my way home and ask what time he's going to be home, what's the plan for dinner (because I'm not cooking!), etc. He says he'll be at the house at 5:20. Wow, that's a very specific answer for someone who usually says 'eventually' or 'once I get all my work done'. We have this exact conversation every afternoon. OK, I think, he's being nice to me on my birthday by giving me an exact time. I like exact times.

So, Helena and I settle in and watch some cartoons on the couch while we're waiting on him and sure enough, he shows up right at 5:20. A birthday miracle! I look down the hall and see Ash and then immediately hear more people coming in behind him from the garage. Um....weird. People don't come over to my house...ever! ;) Then I see Aimee's face...then I start to cry (as I'm about to now as I'm recounting this...lord, stupid pregnancy)...a lot...then I hear even more people behind her and before I know it I've practically thrown Helena off the couch to get to them (Aimee, Erin, Tracee and my mom!) to give out teary birthday hugs. I scared the crap out of Helena...she was crying sad tears because I was crying and weird people were in our house and her mom had just thrown her on the ground.

Anyway, Ashford's really the best. Flew everyone in for my birthday for the weekend and I had no idea. I think that's the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me. I love you honey! He said keeping the secret from me for 2 months was one of the hardest things he's ever had to do. And I did think he was acting weird when I was making numerous plans for my birthday weekend that he was less than enthused about!

More photos, stories to come! Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes last week! You all made a really pregnant lady who couldn't get drunk on her 30th birthday really, really happy.

And thanks to my mom for taking time off work to come, Aimee for taking time off her brand new job to come, too, and to Erin and Tracee for leaving their little ones behind for the first times to visit little old me. You guys are the best. I hope you had fun even though I made you go out to eat like 85 times in three days and you had to sleep in our 2-star-ish basement. ;) Even though we don't get to see each other all that often anymore, it's good to pick up right where we left off when we do. Love you guys!

-Emily :)

7 comments:

kjl said...

How awesome! Nice work, Ash! I have a similar surprise planned for a birthday that shall go unnamed--I'll tell you about it later. I have to say I laughed really hard at "she was crying sad tears because I was crying and weird people were in our house and her mom had just thrown her on the ground." Good stuff, my friend.

Tish said...

dude am i having pregnancy sympathy pains or something cuz i immediately bursted into tears.

that really is the best gift ever. what a great hubby...sniff. i'm still crying by the way. at work. and people are attempting to talk to me.

ps the code word for posting is "materno"...fitting.

Anonymous said...

Hear it was a great week-end. It was hard to keep the secret also. Couple times I almost said I had some stuff I'd send with your mom !!!! It was so funny.
Love ya, granma sarah. I'll send the pillows next week. They were so much fun to make. Hope you like them.

Erin and Todd said...

Not having to listen for a baby's cry for 72 hours? Not having to be a direct drinking fountain? Not having to be the DD for the first time in over a year? Going out to eat a jillion times? AND seeing best friends for a weekend?

Totally a gift to me, too.

Thanks, Ash!!

Tracee said...

I just about cried reading that too, and I was there! You're right Emily, everytime we all get together it's like any night back in college, before we all moved, got married, or had babies. I had such a great time. Thanks again to Ash, that was a gift for all of us!

Aimee said...

I will continue the many thanks to Ash, since he made Girl's Weekend 2010 happen after all. Love you guys.

Leah B said...

Totally awesome of Ashford to do that for you! I am highly impressed. It was great to hear from you the other day!