Friday, October 30, 2009

How We Got Dragged Into Attending Republican Fundraising Event -- Part 1

Wow, never thought I'd have to type that sentence up there. Yes, Ash & I are attending the Governor's Ball this evening. It's not completely voluntary...we are basically seat fillers for Ash's company, who has so generously contributed to the sitting governor's campaign coffers.

Anyway, it's black tie, I found out on Wednesday...good times. After frantically searching for a dress, shoes, jewelry, breaking new jewelry, buying different jewelry AND finding a babysitter...we're all set to go. I contemplated buying a really really sleazy dress to wear tonight...sure would blend in with the plethora of jesus jammies we're sure to witness...but I decided to take the more tasteful, black, Ann Taylor route. In case you didn't know, Utah is the capital of very demure, sleevy evening attire.

Part of me feels like we're inadvertently being democratic spies tonight. I'm going to take a little notebook to jot down funny things that happen/are said throughout the night. Hopefully I'm not pumping this up to be less than blog worthy. At the very least the food should be good and I read that there will be Broadway-ish production numbers.

But, think of it, this is the creme de la creme of Republican fundraising events in Utah. I COULD SEE AN OSMOND...IN PERSON. And I'll ask them to sign my chest...you betcha!

-Emily :)

6 comments:

Tracee said...

I think being at an event of that size it will be statistically impossible not to see an Osmond. At least one of their kids!!! Enjoy the free food, but probably no booze huh?

Leah B said...

OOOh, that sounds like secret mission fun, and perhaps a chance to role play. Yes, I just went there.

Tish said...

ok this might expose my ignorance but are the osmonds republican?! i mean i know they mass produce but please don't shatter my luv bubble em!!!

i like the idea of being a democtratic spy. you make me proud.

Anonymous said...

I checked, and there will be booze. Good thing, since the only thing we'll have in common with the state legislators at the table will be our evening plans. Better go to fox news and read the talking points for the week...

Ashford

Unknown said...

"Sleevy" is totally my new favorite word. Can't wait for the update!

Lindsay said...

Can't wait to read part 2 - if you can top Bill Clinton hitting on my engaged friend and tell her that he thought she was "magical" in front of her fiance then you have to win some sort of prize.