Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wino

Great news!  I found some babysitters!  And they're across the street and they're cheap!  Hooray!  Let's hope they do a good job the next two weekends and we'll be all set!!

So yesterday afternoon said neighborly babysitters came over to our house so I and the kids could meet them and chat.  They are sisters and in early high school and play sports and are smart and good kids and reminded me of me and my friends in high school.  Kind of.

So I'm chatting with them and I go up to the kitchen to get Harper's milk and one of them says -- "Oh cool, I like those bottles you have on top of your cabinets.  They're pretty.  What are they?" 

(If you've never been to our house in Utah, the theme of our kitchen decor is WINE.)

"Ummmm, they're wine bottles."  I say.

"Oh, cool....do you collect them or something?"

"Um, well yeah, I guess you could say that." (As I gaze at the 50+ wine bottles lining the tops of our kitchen cabinets.)  Then I make up a story about a project we're planning on doing with them...you know, to make it seem less alcoholic.

So now I'm hoping they don't go home and tell their mom that we have obviously drank inordinate amounts of alcohol and we scared them and then they can't babysit for the heathens across the street.  That's why I told them I'd pay them double what most people pay them (which to me seemed like 1987 levels...poor girls!).

One thing I enjoy about Utah is that every once in awhile I am reminded that I in fact live in a place where 14 year old girls have never even seen a wine bottle.  AKA Mars.  Thank the good lord there's snow skiing.

-Emily :)

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Should I be concerned that not only can my children identify wine bottles, but they also know what kind of beer I prefer? I'm feeling a bit like a heathen here.

Anonymous said...

I told you to take them down! HA! :) Mom

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Aunt Kerri

kjl said...

Hilarious! If they have a problem with it, you can just remind them that Jesus drank wine too. :)

With regard to the 1987 babysitting rate, I can tell you what that was, because I did a ton of babysitting as a kid. Through most of my career I made ONE DOLLAR per hour per kid--and I thought it was good money! :)

Melissa said...

I love your stories. They crack me up!