Saturday, August 14, 2010

Yep, I'm a Quitter

I haven't quit very many things in my life just because I wanted to and not because some circumstance made it so I had to. The only thing I can recall is high school cheerleading my freshman year. After that, I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure Aimeeliz or my sister could come up with some others since they often remember my childhood/life better than I do. :)

That being said, last week I quit my job. Because I wanted to. And to be honest, it felt really good. It was a very agonizing decision for me, as I have always liked working in general and I've always worried that if I stayed home I would somehow fall into a deep, hermit-like depression. But my job in Utah hasn't really been everything I wanted it to be for many reasons, and it makes it that much harder to go back to now that I have a lot more to do at home. I am going to miss some of the good friends I've made at work, but hopefully they'll still hang with me even though they won't see me every day.

Obviously, with Harper in the mix now, it's just too hard for both of us to have demanding jobs outside of the house. Ash works 50+ hours a week and it's never going to get better despite my constant nagging. He works hard for our family, and I really appreciate that. My 45-minute-on-a-good-day commute plus the possibility of shuttling two kids to two different daycares just seems impossible right now. And if not impossible, definitely stressful and probably not good for any of us.

So, I'm officially a SAHM (or Shit Ass Ho Motherfucker as Dooce says) with benefits. Those benefits are that I am still working on contract sporadically with my former job...from home mostly. Helena's still going to go to montessori school a few days a week and Harper will chill with me.

I'm looking forward to wearing more workout clothes instead of dress clothes and possibly not showering every day. And hopefully I'll be a better mom now that I have a lot of stress off of my back.

Anyway, I'm lucky to have this option as a lot of people don't right now. I honestly never thought I would. Bring on the mom's clubs and playdates! Woo Hoo! As Ash put it, I'm working for us now.

-Emily :)

9 comments:

sarah huss said...

Sounds like a winner to us. Hope you do get a chance to get out some though so as not to get into a lost rut. Need some off time now & then. Wish I was closer to baby-sit. Would love that. Takr care & see you all soon. Love to all. Granma sarah & papa Harris

Kristine said...

Wish I was there to do play dates! I would have been so perfect!

Unknown said...

Good for you, Emily. Glad things are working out :) Enjoy!

Heather said...

If only we were close! Find lots of people to do playdates with, even when you just have Harper. You will need adult conversation to keep you sane! Good luck and have fun...I don't regret a minute of it, even though some days I DREAM of being in a room full of high schoolers bitching at me instead of with my one kid!

Tish said...

awww, i love the idea of 'working for us'...that's a beautiful thing my dear. :)

you enjoy those non showering days ya hear! you've escaped the man!

Ash and Maggie said...

We wish you the best and remember the words of a great american child raising expert... "Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected." ~Red Buttons

Anonymous said...

I don't believe any mother has ever looked back on her life & said "I wish I would have worked more!" Other than that, watch your language........love your mother!

Hartwoman3 said...

I hope this means more blog posts! :)

T. Tabish said...

I miss you at the ranch! But girl, if you can do it, do it! And enjoy it. Can't wait to see you on Thursday, hoping Helena comes too.