Tuesday, July 31, 2012

On Eating...

I believe I have neglected to mention here that we've had another little allergy hiccup with Harper.  We started seeing a new doctor (a naturopath) who suggested we try to take him off of dairy and wheat as well to see if that would alleviate some of his remaining allergy symptoms (mainly eczema but also a constantly runny nose). 

So, I took him off dairy about a month ago and his eczema got a little better (although not completely gone), his nose shut off, and weirdly his crazy earwax that he's had all his life (seriously, it's always been like a gooey brown science experiment in there) is all of the sudden COMPLETELY GONE.  Like, I keep trying to get earwax out of his ears and there's just nothing! Weirdly, I miss it.  Kind of how one might miss popping their teenage sibling's pimples.

(I have since read in a couple of places that this is oftentimes a sign of a dairy intolerance / allergy). 

I have yet to get the gumption to also take him off of wheat as the doctor recommended because I honestly don't have the energy or meal planning ambition.  We go back for a check up tomorrow and this may be the next step.  The doctor is hopeful that his gut can heal eventually and he will be able to eat at least eggs & dairy again when he's older.

So, if you're keeping count we're 'off' of eggs, nuts, dairy and gluten (for Ash only, really...).  Good times. 

That said, here are some recipes I'm digging lately....with modifications, in most cases.

Whole Wheat Pop Tarts - Great snack/quick breakfast for the kids!  I made with vegan Earth Balance butter today and I couldn't tell the difference from the last time I made them with real butter.

Kale Lemon Pesto - I made this just for Ash & I, and I was the only one who liked it.  I'm sticking by it, though.  If you like kale & lemons (Ash is a little iffy on lemony stuff sometimes), it's a good one.

Asparagus Brie Soup - I made this also for just Ash & I after we scored about 2 pounds of leftover roasted asparagus at a wedding we went to a couple of weeks ago (hmmm, that sounds weird now that I type it out.  oh well!).  Anyway, unlike the pesto, Ash says he'd eat this every day.  I substituted a GF all purpose flour in place of the regular flour.

Homemade Granola Bars - I also made these this weekend and they were a hit with everyone.  It's very hard to find nut free granola bars at the store.  Ours had oats, soy nut butter, dairy/GF chocolate chips and coconut.  Yum - O!

Allergen Free Chocolate Cake - I made this awhile back and just got the 2nd round out of the freezer to eat.  Hands down the best allergen free cake I have tried.  Moist, doesn't feel like you're missing something.  I used a GF all purpose flour blend and Ener-G egg subsitute.  I didn't make the frosting (because I'm lazy).  :)

I'll keep ya'll updated on our 'progress' - in the meantime if you have any recipes you want to share, I'm all ears!!

-Emily :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was going to suggest the 100 days of real food blog as a source for potential recipes, but it looks like you have found it! I will keep looking for recipes though! I can't even imagine the time and energy that must take to plan, coordinate, and make! You are such a good mommy!

Leah B said...

Our favorite GF recipes are shrimp or steak tacos and a mango/peach salsa with lots of cilantro and a sweet and sour coleslaw, grilled or broiled salmon with an apricot glaze (apricot jelly and teriaki sauce), rice, rice and more rice. Chipotle type burrito bowls are great, especially with roasted veggies. But I think that you're doing great considering that your diet has probably done a 180 as far as constrictions go. Good luck with it!