Monday, June 15, 2009

The Back Yard: a.k.a a DISASTER

So when we moved into our house the previous owners had done a smashing job on the front yard: new sod, good stones as edging, new fence, etc. The back yard, yeah, not so much. It was what our realtor affectionately called a 'blank slate.' Pretty much a bunch of dirt, some weeds, and a concrete patio.

However, as months passed and our time got sucked up by other activiites, we started calling it 'the moon' and telling people when they came over just not to look out the back door. Because it was ugly. Very, very ugly.

After endless months of me talking Ashford out of doing this multi-weekend job by himself, we hired a landscaper. And hopefully said landscaper will start this week after being delayed by one of the wettest Junes ever in Salt Lake. I can hardly wait. No more sticker bushes or chasing Helena around the unfenced front yard. It's going to be great.

Some before pictures (OMG, I'm so embarrassed):

Looking to the East. As you can see, the weeds have overtaken the plain old dirt.


To the North - nice grass and a tree will replace this patch.

The grand finale. The very pokey weed that's as tall as me right next to our house. I think that's the biggest weed I've ever seen - and my grandpa used to make me pull weeds out of our quarter section of milo on the farm!

-Emily :)

3 comments:

Leah B said...

That is a very large thistle you have there (sounds like a compliment, but...). Good luck with the landscaper! I'm sure that they will do a fabulous job. Can't wait to see the end result!

EmilyG said...

I knew someone would identify that giant weed for me. Thanks my little botanical friend, Leah! :)

kjl said...

Be sure to post the after pictures--I'm sure it will look wonderful!

See you NEXT WEEK! :)